GRI Index: G4-6
The ORLEN Group and its environment
By discovering and processing natural resources, we fuel the future.
ORLEN. We fuel the future.
International fuel and energy company
PKN ORLEN shareholders 1
- Listed on the WSE since 1999
- Indices: WIG, WIG20, WIG30, WIG Poland, WIG Paliwa, Respect Index
- Market cap: ca. PLN 29,020mbn (as at December 31st 2015)
Based on disclosures for the PKN ORLEN Extraordinary General Meeting of January 29th 2016.
- Together with its subsidiaries, PKN ORLEN is the leader of the fuel and energy market in Central and Eastern Europe.
- The only Polish company in the prestigious Fortune 500 ranking and the best managed company in Poland according to Euromoney.
- Six refineries and the region’s largest network of modern service stations, including almost 2, 700 locations, in Poland, the Czech Republic, Germany and Lithuania.
- ORLEN’s oil and gas 2P1 reserves reached 97 Mboe.
- ORLEN is one of the largest petrochemical companies in Central and Eastern Europe, the only monomer and polymer producer in Poland, and the manufacturer of most petroleum products on the Czech market.
- As part of its heat and power generation segment, the Group is implementing two CCGT projects, which will raise its generating capacity to 1.5 GWe in 2017.
- For a number of years ORLEN has been the most valuable brand in Poland.
- The region’s only company to be named three times The Most Ethical Company, by the US-based Ethisphere Institute.
1 Proven and probable
- Revenue of more than PLN 88bn
- Record-high volume of crude processed - 30.9m tonnes.
- Total oil and gas reserves up to above 97MMBOE3 (2P4).
- Retail segment’s record-high LIFO-based EBITDA of 1.5bn.
- Further increase in the value of the ORLEN brand to PLN 4.5bn according to a ranking by the Rzeczpospolita daily.
- Management board's proposal to pay dividend for 2015 –0.9bn
2) Earnings before depreciation and amortisation, net of non-cash effect of inventory revaluation and impairment of non-current assets
3) Barrel of oil equivalent.
4) Certain and probable
ORLEN Group’s business segments
The leader of innovation
Development and implementation of innovative ideas are at the core of the ORLEN Group’s Strategy for 2014–2017. One of the key objectives of the Strategy’s third pillar – “PEOPLE – Focus on human capital and innovation” – is to create value by increasing R&D spending, pursuing innovative projects and implementing innovative solutions to enable the Company to achieve a lasting competitive advantage on the market in the long term.
The ORLEN Group pursues R&D projects focused on implementation of new products and technologies, as well as those undertaken to comply with regulations on environmental protection and manufacture and sales of chemicals.
A project to explore alternative sources of next-generation biocomponents is an example of this innovative approach. It will involve the establishment of a research station at the production plant in Płock, where carbon dioxide and process wastewater will be used to grow algae. The project, pursued to comply with the priority objectives set out in the EU Renewable Energy Directive, aims to develop a technology to produce next-generation fuel biocomponents.
In 2015, as part of the effort to develop its fuel biocomponent technology, PKN ORLEN joined a research project of BIOENERGY 2020+, an Austrian centre engaged in research into the application of biomass in the energy sector. The project will assess the possibility of implementing advanced biofuel production technologies at the Group’s refineries, both in Poland and the Czech Republic.
In 2015, PKN ORLEN also announced a global crowdsourcing contest to find innovative solutions improving the energy efficiency of production processes. This is the first project of this type in Poland, where technological solutions are submitted online not only by small teams of specialists, but also individual contestants, research institutions, academics and students from all over the world. The aim is to find the most creative technology concept for efficient recovery and utilisation of low-temperature heat from distillation columns.
The Group runs two research centres – the Płock Industry and Technology Park in Poland and UniCRE in the Czech Republic. Since 2015, the Płock Industry and Technology Park, in which PKN ORLEN and the city of Płock hold equal interests, has included the ORLEN Group’s Central Laboratory, currently one of the most advanced facilities of this kind in Europe involved in analysis of raw materials, fuels and petrochemical products.
For many years, the ORLEN Group has initiated numerous research and development projects, also in collaboration with universities and research institutions.
PKN ORLEN has in place dedicated training programmes to encourage and develop its employees’ ability to innovate. The Company has run a variety of projects and intranet platforms to promote innovative processes and manage knowledge.
STRENGTH OF THE BRAND
ORLEN is an international modern brand of world-class innovative products and solutions. It has been repeatedly named Polish brand of the highest value, topping the Rzeczpospolita daily’s prestigious ranking compiled based on both financial criteria and consumer opinions.
Most consumers associate ORLEN primarily with service stations selling high-quality fuels. PKN ORLEN also maintains a successful presence on foreign markets: as STAR in Germany, as BENZINA in the Czech Republic, and as ORLEN in Lithuania.
Today, however, PKN ORLEN’s service stations offer not only fuel but also a variety of amenities and services, so that visitors can have a rest, do shopping, eat a meal, or even hold a business meeting. The non-fuel offering is being continually expanded as innovative solutions and new services are introduced to improve the service quality and comfort of the customers.
The ORLEN brand’s value is created not only by the Company’s service station network but also through its modern large-scale industrial operations – its refineries, petrochemical plants, energy generation facilities, and, since recently, also oil producing assets, including ones across the Atlantic.